4.21.2008

A Three Hour Tour.

I watched "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" the other day and I have to say, it wasn't too far from the truth. I don't want to ruin anything (if you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it), but there's a super great quote:
"It's literally like someone took America by the East Coast and *shook* it, and all the normal girls managed to hang on."

I couldn't agree more.


In lieu of Marnie visiting this week we arranged a camping trip to Catalina Island. What would soon lead to one of the prettiest hikes I've ever done.

Unfortunately there's not much to say about hiking 7 miles and sleeping in a tent. It's one of those things were you just...had to be there. But I will say this, nothing beats roughin' it with some friends and having absolutely nothing else to do but drink and cook meet!


If you're not familiar, Catalina is an island off the coast of Long Beach. Mostly uninhibited, it is considered one of the best places in the Pacific Ocean to snorkel/scuba.

Bitchin'.


So Valerie and I...


...Marnie...


...Traci and Steve...


...hopped aboard a chartered boat...


...and adventured our way to Catalina!


Along the way we saw dolphins. They were like, "Hello!"


This is us getting close to the island.


Closer.


Closerrrrr.


Super close!


Ahoy mateys! (We've landed on the island of Catalina)


Once we got our bags together we started our 7 mile hike to our campsite.


Hey guys! Wait for me!


Our boat landed at Two Harbors (top left) and from there we had to hike to Parson's Landing. Note the jagged trail we have to follow.


About 5 minutes into our hike things were already starting to look pretty...pretty?


Steve's roommate, Steve, wrote us a couple stories to read along the way. This is Steve reading to us.


Walking walking walking...


Oooooh! More pretty!


More...walking.


What's that there Steve!? An abandoned mine you say!


Well I think we've come up on some gollllllllllld partna'!


Valerie says, "Stop dicking around guys!"


Yay! More pretty!


Ahhh! Dinosaur attack!


The path we hiked followed the coast the whole time. If you look into the distance you can see a lump of white, that's a giant rock/island covered with bird poop. That's where our hike started :)


Lizard pals!


'Cue harmonica'


Two country boys leavin' home.


We'll be back when the war's over ma'.


We're sooooo close!


As you can see, the scenery has changed from dusty to...fieldy.


Awwwwwwwww!


That's it! We made it!


Oop, cactus patch...



Now we made it!


I set up my tent and built a fireplace...while they were still reading their tent's instruction manual.


One of the prettiest places I've ever camped in :)


Complete with giant rocks jutting out of my head.


Valerie contemplates the meaning of life.


I WILL climb this thing by the time we leave.


Time to start whittling sticks for our hot dogs and marshmallows!


Meat on a stick! Oh boy!
(People scoffed at me for wanting to bring 3 packs of hot dogs, but I showed them!)


A bird perched on my rock, almost as if he was mocking me.

It was time.


Oh shit, where did you take this picture from Derek?


Dunn dunna dahhhh!


It was time to reflect on my rock.


Now that the sun was starting to set, it was time to get our drink on!


Little known fact: vodka mixes better with green Powerade, not blue.


But if we're all in the picture...who's at the cameraaaa.....?
DUN DUN DUN!!!


Steve conquers the rock.


Steve reads more of Other Steve's stories.


Derek is well liquored and back on his rock...taking pictures of himself.

Yes. I am referring to myself in 3rd person.


Valerie tries to join me. She's too short.


We woke up and went home.

The end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home